Frequently asked questions about Life in the UK test:

This is the FAQ section for the life in the UK test. If you have any further questions, do drop us an email [email protected]

How do I book the test?

We strongly recommend you use the official test website to book the test. Beware of online sites touting to book the test for you.

How much does the test cost?

At the time of wrting, the test cost £50 per attempt.

Is the British citizenship test different to life in the UK test?

No - the life in the UK test is the ONLY test required to prove your knowledge on British traditions and customs.

How long does the test last?

You will have to answer 24 questions within 45 minutes.

When do I get the results of the test?

As soon as you complete the test, you will be given the test score and a unique reference number. Do ensure to note this number down.

What is the expiry date of the life in the UK test? (or) when does the certificate expire?

Fortunately, there is no expiry for life in the UK test. You can use the unique reference number on any applications you make with the UKBA, where the life in the UK test is a requirement.

Is the life in the UK test easy?

We get asked this question a lot. In our opinion, if you do enough practice tests, you should have no problem scoring the required 75%. We would recommend you to start practicing the tests. If you are able to do the 10 tests on and consistently score more than 75%, you should be able to pass the real test on your first attempt.

I have noticed that the questions in the site ( have changed today

Yes, we update our practice questions weekly. We update our questions, based on test takers feedback and questions submitted by current test takers. This allows us to keep the question bank fresh, thus increasing your chances of practicing relevant questions.

What happens after I pass the test?

You get a unique reference number for your test. You can then use this reference number where required.

Can I take the test outside the United Kingdom?

Unless you are a member or a dependent member of the British Armed Forces, this is not possible.

Is English language test covered within Life in the UK test?

No. English language requirements are a seperate set of requirements aside from Life in the UK test. You need a recognised English language quanlification or provide evidence of your English language skills for the Indefinite Leave to remain and citizenship application. We highly recommend that you go through the official pages and decide on a course to provide the English language evidence.

What happens if I have lost my certificate?

If you have lost your reference number and/or the certificate, we recommend you explain in your letter why/how you have lost it. UKBA is quite helpful and they will be able to advice you more on the next steps.

I have failed the life in the UK test. What now?

Do not worry too much about it. Simply put, wait for seven days, and rebook the test again (you need to pay again - £50 each time you retake the test). Do make sure you have done enough practice tests (aim to complete all 10 tests on and in principle, you should pass the test.

What documents do I need to take with me for the test.

Your passport (or its equivalent: biometric ID card, EU identity card, biometric residence permit) should suffice. We highly recomend that you read in case you are unsure of what documents you need to take with you for the test.

I booked the test three months ago and now I need to change the test date - can I do this?

Yes, but it depends when you cancel the test. If you cancel the test 3 days before your booking date, you will not have to pay a rebooking charge. Else, if the cancellation is within 3 days (or 72 hours), you will need to rebook and repay for the test. Head over to official test booking site to book and manage your test.

I would like to read more on the terms and conditions of the life in the UK test

These are available here.